#45 Broken character encoding in window titles for programs opened by KMail

Open
opened 5 months ago by jstolarek · 1 comments
Collaborator

Basic information

  • TDE version: R14.0.9
  • Distribution: Debian Buster
  • Hardware: amd64

Description

I just discovered a weird problem with character encoding handling. I won't be surprised if this isn't KMail-specific.

Steps to reproduce

  1. Rename KPDF menu entry to "KPDF ąęśźćżńł"
  2. Launch KPDF from TDE menu. Notice that Polish diacritic signs are displayed correctly (first screenshot)
  3. Launch KMail
  4. Select an email that contains a PDF attachement
  5. Click on the attachement and select "Open in KPDF ąęśźćżńł"
  6. Notice that Polish signs in the window title are now completely broken (second screenshot)

This happens on TDE set to Polish language but the OS itself is set British English locale:

$ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I wonder whether this is reproducible on TDE set to English language.

## Basic information - TDE version: R14.0.9 - Distribution: Debian Buster - Hardware: amd64 ## Description I just discovered a weird problem with character encoding handling. I won't be surprised if this isn't KMail-specific. ## Steps to reproduce 1. Rename KPDF menu entry to "KPDF ąęśźćżńł" 2. Launch KPDF from TDE menu. Notice that Polish diacritic signs are displayed correctly (first screenshot) 3. Launch KMail 4. Select an email that contains a PDF attachement 5. Click on the attachement and select "Open in KPDF ąęśźćżńł" 6. Notice that Polish signs in the window title are now completely broken (second screenshot) This happens on TDE set to Polish language but the OS itself is set British English locale: ``` $ locale LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=en_GB:en LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8" LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8" LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8" LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8" LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8" LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8" LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8" LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8" LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8" LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8" LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8" LC_ALL= ``` I wonder whether this is reproducible on TDE set to English language.
jstolarek added the
SL/minor
label 5 months ago
Poster
Owner

Hi Janek,

just wondering if you have tried switching TDE to English and reproduce the bug, so we can have more info available.

Hi Janek,<br/> just wondering if you have tried switching TDE to English and reproduce the bug, so we can have more info available.
Sign in to join this conversation.
No Milestone
No Assignees
2 Participants
Notifications
Due Date

No due date set.

Dependencies

This issue currently doesn't have any dependencies.

Loading…
There is no content yet.